Does WICreator work against Codeplex?

Mar 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Edited Mar 8, 2008 at 10:56 PM
UPDATE: nevermind, I finished reading the "About and setup.doc" and realized that:
  • there's no client that I can run without installing this on a server
  • the client wouldn't work anyway unless the Codeplex team installed the web service (which I'm guessing they haven't)

Thanks anyway!

Loic, great-looking tool you have here. I found it when I went looking for a client-server app that would allow me to create and update Work Items on my Codeplex projects.

When I started reading the "About and setup.doc" that's included with the v1.3 release, I was scared by the fact that within the first page, you're already talking about "Customization of the Work Item Types". I don't know whether Codeplex even lets us customize our projects hosted on their servers, and my first thought is "What if this application tries to make changes to the server, but fails, and causes my project to get corrupted?"

I realize this is probably not possible - if the Codeplex team has blocked our ability to make customizations, then a tool like this probably wouldn't have the permissions to do any harm to the server. However, it would be very reassuring if the installation document (or the WICreator project wiki) made it clear to new users like me:
  1. Whether this tool works at all with Codeplex?
  2. If so, are there any special steps to make sure it "plays nice" with Codeplex?
  3. What limitations might exist when using this tool with Codeplex?

I'll try this myself and report any unusual results, but I'd like to request that you update your documentation, so that future "new users" like me can use WICreator + Codeplex worry-free! :)
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 10:06 PM
Hi,

In the release currently under development I check if the Work Item Types of the selected Team Project have the fields required to handle hierarchy. If it's not the case, I propose to modify the template definition to add them. (which is a big time saver for setting up the whole solution...)
In theory, if you have the rights to modify a Work Item Type, it should work (if you configure the XML file correctly and install the web service on a separate server).
But I doubt that the Codeplex team allow you to modify the definition of the proposed Work Items...
I'll try to make the test tomorrow, but still, hopes are slim.

Regards,
Loïc
Coordinator
Mar 11, 2008 at 7:13 AM
I made the test, you can't modify the WIT definition on Codeplex.

Loïc