Rebuild WICreator App

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:54 AM
Hello,
i've downloaded the latest source code from WICreator (Changeset 3320) and tried to rebuild it with MS Visual Studio 2005.
This was successful and i can start the newly built WICreator, but when i click on the "Actions" button i can only create a Change Request or a Bug althogh my TFS project does not have these work item types.
With the binaries that i've download from CodePlex everything works fine. There i can create the right work item types which in my case are a Requirement or a Task.
Custom icons for work items don't work either in the rebuilt WICreator.

I uploaded two screenshot where you can see the described problem:
Screen 1: downloaded binaries http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=origwicreatormx4.jpg
Screen 2: rebuilt binarieshttp://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rebuiltwicreatordb5.jpg

Can you help me ? What am i doing wrong ? Did i download the wrong source code ?

Wolfgang
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 10:43 AM

kronwodc wrote:
Hello,
i've downloaded the latest source code from WICreator (Changeset 3320) and tried to rebuild it with MS Visual Studio 2005.
This was successful and i can start the newly built WICreator, but when i click on the "Actions" button i can only create a Change Request or a Bug althogh my TFS project does not have these work item types.
With the binaries that i've download from CodePlex everything works fine. There i can create the right work item types which in my case are a Requirement or a Task.
Custom icons for work items don't work either in the rebuilt WICreator.

I uploaded two screenshot where you can see the described problem:
Screen 1: downloaded binaries http://img337.imageshack.us/my.php?image=origwicreatormx4.jpg
Screen 2: rebuilt binarieshttp://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rebuiltwicreatordb5.jpg

Can you help me ? What am i doing wrong ? Did i download the wrong source code ?

Wolfgang

You have to modify the "NetworkModels.xml" file stored in the WINetwork web application to fit your needs.
You'll find more information in the "WINetwork & WICreator - About and setup.doc" document (found in each release of the project, but not SCM Versionned).
The XML file is also well documented to know how to tweak it.

Regards,
Loïc
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM

LoicBaumann wrote:

You have to modify the "NetworkModels.xml" file stored in the WINetwork web application to fit your needs.
You'll find more information in the "WINetwork & WICreator - About and setup.doc" document (found in each release of the project, but not SCM Versionned).
The XML file is also well documented to know how to tweak it.

Regards,
Loïc

Hello Loïc
i already modified the NetworkModels.xml (See Screen 1 with custom Icons and so on). And with the downloaded binaries from Codeplex all works really great !
But i can't compile a new Version of the WI Creator that works properly. Screen 2 shows the rebuilt app accessing the same NetworkModels.xml on the same TFS like in Screen 1.
I want to rebuild the WICreator project against the TFS 2008 DLLs, but it seems to me that the code from version control doesn't use the NetworkModels.xml when clicking on the Actions button.
Do you have more recent sources than available on CodePlex?

Thanks for your quick reply, and of course for WINetwork :-)
Wolfgang
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2008 at 7:55 PM
Ok, I think you're right, the sources uploaded on Codeplex are certainly not up to date. I remember now it was hard for me to do it because I already had a newer version in local and didn't want to share it (too experimental).

I had to stop the development of WICreator for many months, too many other things to do. But lucky you, I started again two days ago. :)

I worked on a new feature that took time to stabilize, we're using it in production in my company for several months now, so that's why I decided a couple of days ago to make a new release of WICreator.

The new feature I'm talking about is the ability to merge branches using Work Items, it's a biiiiig time saver (and a cool way to handle the development of multiple versions of your project at the same time).
I also didn't want to release this feature because of a bug in TFS 2005 that made it damn slooow, but now with TFS 2008 it's like we are no longer waiting 10 min (that's right), but only 20 seconds ! So I feel I can release the feature as it's really usable for production.
Post me a private message with your email, I'll send you the actual source code!

Well, time to blog that! :)
Too many months I didn't blog...geez...time goes too fast...

Loïc