This project is read-only.

Link to parent / childs

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:55 PM
Is there a possibility to create a link in the workitems to the parent and the child elements?
Aug 3, 2007 at 2:52 PM

TSchissler wrote:
Is there a possibility to create a link in the workitems to the parent and the child elements?

I don't really understand this question, give me a example please.
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:19 AM
Currently it is only possible to see the relation between the work items in the WI Creator. It would be fine to have also a link between the work items. This could be used also within the Visual Studio.
Jul 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM
I'd add that, instead of having custom ID fields to establish and track the hierarchy, the tool could use links between work items instead. It would just require an assumption that, say, Scenario is always at the top level of the hierarchy, Task and Bug are always at the 2nd level etc.

bow wrote:
Currently it is only possible to see the relation between the work items in the WI Creator. It would be fine to have also a link between the work items. This could be used also within the Visual Studio.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Hi DmytroL,

thanks for your response. In the meanwhile we have developt a tool for hierarchical workitems on our own. If you want, you can download a trail here: http://www.artiso.com/register_click.aspx (sorry page is currently only available in German, but the tool comes with a English frontend).

DmytroL wrote:
I'd add that, instead of having custom ID fields to establish and track the hierarchy, the tool could use links between work items instead. It would just require an assumption that, say, Scenario is always at the top level of the hierarchy, Task and Bug are always at the 2nd level etc.

bow wrote:

Jul 20, 2008 at 9:27 PM
Hi all,

The very first version of the WICreator was using Work Items links, but I had to give up for many reasons that you'll find in this blog post.
I whish I could stay with Work Item Links as it fits better in TFS (Reports, WIQL, and so on...) but unfortunately, to handle a large scale hierarchy (which was what I was - and did- aiming to) it was just not possible.

For the integration within VSTS, I'd like to have few days to replace the whole GUI of WICreator and make a VSPackage instead. Deployment would be less easy, but I undestand all the advantages it would bring to the end user.

Regards,
Loïc

TSchissler wrote:
Hi DmytroL,

thanks for your response. In the meanwhile we have developt a tool for hierarchical workitems on our own. If you want, you can download a trail here: http://www.artiso.com/register_click.aspx (sorry page is currently only available in German, but the tool comes with a English frontend).

DmytroL wrote:

bow wrote:

May 11, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Hi Loïc,

any update on this topic ? Have you been able to create a VS package as you were saying in your last post ?

Could you tell us if those requirements are implemented in your last version of WICreator (2.5), I'm actually working with 2.0 release.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Kind Regards.

May 11, 2010 at 8:00 PM
piero95 wrote:

Hi Loïc,

any update on this topic ? Have you been able to create a VS package as you were saying in your last post ?

Could you tell us if those requirements are implemented in your last version of WICreator (2.5), I'm actually working with 2.0 release.

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Kind Regards.

Hello, Well, no, there's no improvement on this matter, the version 2.5 basically is made of bugs fixes and new features to computes Work Item field value based on the parsing of the hierarchy. The next version I would work should be TFS/VS 2010 based, but it's not scheduled yet. Regards, Loïc