Templated list of work items

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:20 AM
A good enhancement to the WI Creator would be to specify a template of work items to create. For example a Change Request might always have at least one Design Task, one Development Task and one Test. So when you select to "Create Change Request from Template" it will not only generate the CR but the other three WI's as well. Obviously this could be added to the NetworkModels.XML file. This would take a lot of the donkey work out of creating the strcutures for a piece of work.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2007 at 6:42 AM
Edited Jun 28, 2007 at 6:45 AM

huckes wrote:
A good enhancement to the WI Creator would be to specify a template of work items to create. For example a Change Request might always have at least one Design Task, one Development Task and one Test. So when you select to "Create Change Request from Template" it will not only generate the CR but the other three WI's as well. Obviously this could be added to the NetworkModels.XML file. This would take a lot of the donkey work out of creating the strcutures for a piece of work.

What do you thinkg about a new section in the NetworkModel.xml to declare templates like this:
<WITemplates>
<WITemplate name="Simple task from request">
<WorkItem type="Change Request">
<Fields>
<Field name="System.Title" value="A simple request"/>
</Fields>
<WorkItem type="Task">
<Fields>
<Field name="System.Title" value="The main task"/>
</Fields>
</WorkItem>
</WorkItem>
</WITemplate>
</WITemplates>

edit: sorry but looks like Codeplex don't take HTML code and it doesn't show my idents, too.. :(
Jun 28, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Sort of like that, but I think a lot of the field setting can be achieved with default values and the like for in the WIT itself. What I had more in mind was:

<WITemplates>
<WITemplate name="Full Change Request">
<WIParent WIT="Change Request">
<WIChild WIT="Design Task"/>
<WIChild WIT="Development Task">
<WIChild WIT="Test"/>
</WIChild>
<WIChild WIT="Test"/>
</WIParent>
</WITemplate>
</WITemplates>

This is in effect creates 5 work items:
- Change Request
--Design Task
--Development Task
---Test (unit test probably) - child of the Development Task
--Test (Final QC/functional test)

You could of course have the setting of fields as well, but I'm not sure how this would conflict with the WIT?

The reason I have suggested this is that we have had problems where testing or design work has not been carried out. So someone sets in motion a development task, but there ought to be a Test to go with it and assigned to a developer or peer reviewer.

P.S. one other little wrinkle I have noticed is that if use a query to load a list of work items for selecting to add to an existing structure, you can't then select to do the same by ID as the button is disabled